Effective June 2014, the TFWP was reorganized into two distinct programs. The TFWP now only refers to the foreign workers who enter Canada at the request of their employers following approval through the LMIA. The other program covers all foreign nationals who are not subjected to an LMIA and now categorized under the International Mobility Programs. 

There are now 5 categories under the newly overhauled TFWP.

  • High-wage: positions where the prevailing wage is at or above the provincial/territorial median wage;
  • Low-wage: positions where the prevailing wage is below the provincial/territorial median wage;
  • ​Primary Agricultural Stream: includes positions related to on-farm primary agricultural as general farm workers, nursery, and greenhouse workers, feed lot workers and harvesting labourers,, including under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program;
  • Highest-demand, highest-paid or shortest-duration: LMIA for in-demand occupations (skilled trades), highly paid occupations (top 10%) or short duration (120 days or less) entries will be provided within a 10-business day service standard; and
  • Live-in Caregiver Program: now known as an in-home caregiver program (for detailed discussion, see separate entry below). 


Under the overhauled TFWP, employers and applicants must now consider the following:

  • Using wage instead of NOC;
  • New LMIA;
  • Cap on TFWs in low-wage positions;
  • Refusing applications in areas of high unemployment;
  • Reduced duration of Work Permits as set out in LMIA;
  • Reduced length of time a TFW can stay in Canada; and
  • Transitioning TFWS for high-wage positions, among others.


If you are interested in working in Canada or if you have an offer of employment from a Canadian Employer, we can help you understand the process and apply for an LMIA and/or a Work Permit. To see if you are eligible to apply as a worker in Canada or if you have any questions with the new TFW, contact us here.

Video courtesy of ABS-CBN/TFC Balitang Amerika / Mariton Pacheco

We, at BC HAPPY HOMES IMMIGRATION SERVICES & NATIE SOTANA CANADA IMMIGRATION CONSULTANCY will first make sure that you are qualified and there are no immigrations barriers to apply for any Working Visa or Temporary Resident Application. 

If you are interested to come to Canada as a Worker or if you have an employer who wants to sponsor you as a worker or an in-home caregiver, you may contact us here or you may also visit or contact us in any of our Canadian or Philippine Offices:

#207 - 13541 - 102 Avenue, Surrey, British Columbia, V3T 4X8 
Tel: (604) 584 1199
Fax: 1 866 906 1327


ILOILO CITY (Philippine Main Office)
Lower Ground Floor, SM City Iloilo
Benigno Aquino Avenue, Mandurriao, Iloilo City 5000
Tel: (033) 330 0651

Room 207 VSB Building
Corner Lacson and 6th Street, Bacolod City 6100
Tel: (034) 709-1194

Every year,over 100,000 foreign workers enter Canada to work temporarily in jobs that help Canadian employers address skill shortages. These jobs may or may require application for a Labor Market Impact Assessment or LMIA (formerly Labor Market Opinion or LMO) before a work permit can be issued. 

A work permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada, though for some positions and business people it is not necessary. Some temporary workers require a work permit and some do not. For some categories of workers, permits are approved more quickly.

The requirements and processing times depend on the sort of work you will do when you come to Canada. Remember, even if you do not need a work permit, you may need to meet other requirements. Your employer may need to get an LMIA from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC).

A work permit is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live here permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category, such as skilled worker. Caregivers can stay in Canada permanently if they meet certain requirements. If you want your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children to come with you to Canada, they must apply to do so.

​The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) allows Canadian employers to hire foreign nationals to fill temporary labour and skill shortages when qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not available. To know more about the TFWP, read on below or contact us here





Are you a Temporary Foreign Worker here in Canada? If you want to know your options or paths to Permanent Residency, contact us

The In-Home Caregiver Program brings foreign workers to Canada to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors or persons with certified medical needs, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available. In-Home Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to work without supervision in a private household providing care for children, the elderly or people with disabilities.

Effective December 1, 2014, ESDC overhauled the live-in caregiver program and replaced it with the the in-home caregiver programs. Families or private household employers will be able to hire foreign workers, on a live-in or live out basis, for 2 categories of in-home workers, which include:

  1. Caregivers for children (children under 18 years of age)
  2. Caregivers for people with high medical needs

​                 - elderly persons, 65 years of age or over; or

                 - people with disabilities, a chronic or terminal illness

The caregiver may only apply for permanent residence after completing a minimum of two years employment as a caregiver. However, this employment must have occurred within a four-year period immediately following entry to Canada as a caregiver.

In order to qualify under the In-Home Caregiver Program, candidates must meet the following requirements:

  • A successful completion of a course of study that is equivalent to a Canadian secondary school diploma or as outlined in the NOC for the position required; 
  • A successful completion of 6 months of full-time training in a classroom setting or 12 months of full-time paid employment (including at least 6 months of continuous employment with one employer) in a field or occupation related to the job they are seeking as a caregiver. This experience must have been obtained within the three years immediately prior to the day on which they submit an application for a work permit. 
  • The ability to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level sufficient to communicate independently.
  • They must have a written employment contract with their future employer.

A foreign national who wishes to work in Canada as a live-in caregiver must apply for a work permit before seeking entry to Canada. The requirement for a written contract between the employee and employer takes into consideration the unique circumstances of caregivers whose eligibility for permanent residence is tied to their employment. The requirement is a measure to provide a fair working arrangement between the caregiver and the employer, and gives both parties a clear understanding of their responsibilities.

The contract defines the employee's job duties, hours of work, salary and benefits, and outlines the employer's legal responsibilities to the caregiver. If a caregiver is applying from the Philippines, she/he may also need to pass the Spoken Proficiencies in English and Knowledge (SPEAK) test.

To know more about the In-Home Caregiver Program or if you are an employer who wants to hire a foreign caregiver to work here in Canada, please see our EMPLOYER page or contact us here