Things you need before you come to study in Canada:

  • a letter of acceptance from the school of your choice;
  • proof that you have enough money to pay school fees and live near the school;
  • to establish that you will return home at the end of your studies;
  • to pass a medical exam if needed; and
  • to qualify as a temporary resident in Canada, including a temporary resident visa if needed.

A Study Permit is not required in the following circumstances:

  • For a course or program with a duration of six months or less;
  • For a minor child already in Canada, whose parents have legal status in Canada, other than Visitor Status;
  • For the family or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will normally issue a Study Permit if an applicant has received an acceptance letter from a qualified Canadian educational institution, and possesses sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs. In some cases, Citizenship and Immigration Canada may require applicants to undergo medical examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires Temporary Resident Visas for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa is not required for citizens of visa exempt countries.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada generally issues Study Permits that are valid for the duration of the intended course of studies. International Students are considered Visitors in Canada so they must satisfy the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Officer at the Port of Entry that the purpose of their entry into Canada is of a temporary nature.

Working in Canada as an International Student
Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows International Students to work in Canada in limited situations. Students are required to arrive in Canada with sufficient money to live and pay their bills while studying. However, in some cases, a student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study:

  • On campus without a Work Permit;
  • Off campus with a Work Permit;
  • In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.
  • In addition, spouses/common-law partners of international students are eligible to work in Canada while their partners study.

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students enrolled in degree granting institutions may also apply for a work permit.

Upon graduation, international students may be able to obtain Canadian work experience. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows international graduates to obtain up to a three-year open work permit so that they can stay and contribute to the Canadian work force. To know more about how to study in Canada, contact us here



We, at BC HAPPY HOMES IMMIGRATION SERVICES & NATIE SOTANA CANADA IMMIGRATION CONSULTANCY will first make sure that you are qualified and there are no immigrations barriers to apply for a Student Permit or a Temporary Resident Visa.

If you are interested to come to Canada as a Student or would want to know your options as Students in Canada, you may contact us here or you may also visit or contact us in any of our Canadian or Philippine Offices:

#207 - 13541 - 102 Avenue, Surrey, British Columbia, V3T 4X8 
Tel: (604) 584 1199
Fax: 1 866 906 1327


ILOILO CITY (Philippine Main Office)
Lower Ground Floor, SM City Iloilo
Benigno Aquino Avenue, Mandurriao, Iloilo City 5000
Tel: (033) 330 0651

Room 207 VSB Building
Corner Lacson and 6th Street, Bacolod City 6100
Tel: (034) 709-1194