Prior to 2015, most skilled workers come to Canada via the Federal Skilled Worker Program. However, effective January 2, 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has launched the Express Entry Program to manage applications for permanent residence under certain economic programs. 

The Express Entry will manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs: (to know more about the Express Entry Program, click here)

  • The Federal Skilled Worker Program,

  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program, 

  • The Canadian Experience Class, and

  • in some cases, through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). 


​   The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) selects immigrants based on their ability to succeed economically in Canada. After meeting eligibility requirements, applicants are assessed against selection criteria, also known as the “points grid.” There are 100 points available to applicants, with points awarded for official language abilities, age, education, work experience, employment already arranged in Canada, and adaptability. The current pass mark is 67.

Minimum requirements to be eligible under the FSWP are:

  • Skilled Work Experience for at least one year in an NOC 0, A, or B occupation within the last 10 years
  • meet the minimum Language Requirement of at least a CLB 7
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC to show your foreign education is equal to Canadian education standards.
  • meet all the conditions set under the six Selection Factors: age, education, experience, language ability, having a valid job offer, or adaptability. 
  • and in most cases, show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

The six selection factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assessed applicants into the FSWP. You earn points for the six selection factors and the current pass mark is 67 points. The total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry Pool under the FSWP. 


​   ​The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FTSP) is designed to allow individuals with job offers or appropriate certification to work in certain occupations to obtain Canadian Permanent Residency in any Canadian Province or Territory except Quebec. In order to qualify,  Federal Skilled Trades applicants must fulfill the following minimum requirements:

  1. Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.
  2. Have an offer of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body;
  3. Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization, demonstrating that the applicant meets the minimum threshold set by the Minister (Canadian Level Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, 4 for reading and writing);
  4. Have obtained two years of full time or full time equivalent of qualified work experience in the skilled trade in the last five years; and
  5. Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation.

Full-Time work experience means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, or an equal amount in part-time, paid work experience. For example: if you worked 15 hours per week in one job over four years, or if you worked a total of 30 combined hours per week in more than one job over two years.


​   ​The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) allows temporary foreign workers or foreign students to apply as a permanent resident in Canada. If you are a temporary foreign worker (TFW) or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.

To apply for the CEC Class, you must meet these minimum requirements:

  1. Plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  2. Be either: (a)  a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or (b) a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
  3. Have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
  4. Apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada

​Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program. 


We, at BC HAPPY HOMES IMMIGRATION SERVICES & NATIE SOTANA CANADA IMMIGRATION CONSULTANCY will first make sure to assess your qualification against any of the Economic Immigration Programs and ensure that you will have the eligibility and a considerable chance in being accepted into Canada. 

If you are interested to know more about the Express Entry Program, the Provincial Nominee Program or any of the economic programs mentioned here,  you may contact us here or take ourfree assessment.

You may also visit or contact us in any of our Canadian or Philippine Offices:

#207 - 13541 - 102 Avenue, Surrey, British Columbia, V3T 4X8 
Tel: (604) 584 1199
Fax: 1 866 906 1327


ILOILO CITY (Philippine Main Office)
Lower Ground Floor, SM City Iloilo
Benigno Aquino Avenue, Mandurriao, Iloilo City 5000
Tel: (033) 330 0651

Room 207 VSB Building
Corner Lacson and 6th Street, Bacolod City 6100
Tel: (034) 709-1194


Video Copyright by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

For information purposes only. 

The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)  allows each province to select or nominate immigrants who will contribute to the particular labour and economic needs of that particular province. Each province is allowed to establish its own selection criteria and procedures to choose immigrants according to their ability to integrate and successfully settle in that province. Similar to the Skilled Worker Immigration Program, applicants are selected on the basis of a point system designed to target individuals who will fill the labour and economic needs of that province. Points are attributed on various grounds, such as education, work experience, age, etc. Each province sets the number of points to be attributed to each category.

Applicants must intend to reside in the province in which they apply. Once an applicant has been nominated under the program, the province of choice will issue the applicant a Provincial Nominee Certificate.

The applicant is then required to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency at the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Case Processing Centre.  One must keep in mind that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has the final decision making authority on admissibility. The applicant must be admissible on the basis of security, criminal, and medical grounds.

At present the following provinces and territories are participating in this program:

  • Alberta
  • Manitoba
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Ontario
  • Saskatchewan
  • British Columbia
  • New Brunswick
  • Nova Scotia
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Yukon

After you have been nominated by a province or territory, you have to make a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence. A CIC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations.

You will have to pass a medical examination and security and criminal checks. You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.

The Province of Quebec selects its own Skilled Worker Immigrants. Similar to the Provincial Nominee Program, if you wish to live in Quebec, you are required to obtain a Certificat de selection du Quebec (CSQ). Applications must be submitted to the nearest Quebec Immigration Office in which you currently reside.